Alexandra, better known as Alex, is the main protagonist of Oxenfree. She is the player-controlled character. Players can shape her personality and her relationships with Clarissa, Ren, Nona, and Jonas with her dialogue options in-game.
Alex is voiced by Erin Yvette.
Alex is a bright, rebellious teenager. Her general disposition is witty and sarcastic, but player choices can determine whether or not she is more negative or positive towards other characters.
Alex has brown skin, reddish brown eyes, and teal-dyed hair that is tied up into a high ponytail. Before the game's events, she is shown to have reddish-brunette hair. It is implied in-game that she dyed her hair after her brother Michael's death, but there is one existing image of Michael and Alex in which she already had her teal hair.
She wears a simple white 3/4-length shirt with a blue collar and sleeves, light wash skinny jeans, a loosely wrapped string choker around her neck, and work boots. She wears an over-sized red hunting jacket that once belonged to Michael.
Alex lives in the town of Camena, Oregon, with her family. She grew up very close to her brother Michael and childhood friend Ren. She also grew up around Clarissa, Michael's girlfriend, who had pushed Alex into a pool in 6th grade.
She was once arrested for grand theft auto as she and her friend Ashley borrowed a car without permission to go to a concert, much to Michael's reprimanding afterward.
One year prior to the beginning of Oxenfree, Alex, Michael, and Clarissa took a trip to Edwards Island together so they could all spend the day out together. Michael claimed he intended to teach Alex how to swim at the pool the following week, though it is unknown if those plans were followed up.
Before Michael graduated he asked for Alex's blessing to leave town for College and live on his own with Clarissa. Alex wanted for them to hang out one last time before he left, so they both went swimming in the lake. This ultimately lead to Michael drowning as Alex watched by the wayside, unable to help due to her poor or total lack of swimming skills. Clarissa clearly states multiple times that she holds Alex entirely accountable for Michael's death, and states in addition that the town of Camena looks at Alex as if she has a "red letter tattooed on her forehead".
After Michael dies, it is implied that Alex grows more rebellious (possibly acting out in grief), choosing to skip an aptitude test at school so that she could bring an amplifier to Ren's barnyard concert. Ren states that he managed to pass the test while overdosing on a large amount of cough syrup and that, in comparison, Alex would have been able to do excellent on it.
It is mentioned in-game that prior to Michael's death, Alex's parents were prone to fighting and, eventually, following Michael's death, their marriage fell apart and ended with their divorce. Alex's mother remarried, which brought her new step-brother Jonas into Alex's life.
- Michael - Michael is Alex's older brother, and the two of them have always shared a close, "best-friend" bond. Regardless of player choices, he will listen to her opinion in all situations. The red jacket that Alex wears is a hand-me-down from Michael.
- Jonas - In the beginning of Oxenfree, it is stated that Alex and Jonas had just met each other for the first time on that day, as Jonas had just moved in. Because of this, Alex is somewhat wary of Jonas at the beginning of the game. Depending on the choices made by the player, Alex and Jonas can become closer and see each other as truly brother and sister, or remain distant. In addition, Alex has the ability to choose whether or not Michael stays in town and thus is "resurrected", negating the step-sibling relationship with Jonas, but still having the option to bond with Jonas as a friend or "other-brother".
- Ren - Ren is Alex's childhood best friend. They often playfully banter and tease each other about old stories they know about each other. When playing "marry, screw, kill" Alex can choose to marry Ren as they are already friends so there would be no "surprises", sleep with him because knowing each other would make it less weird, or kill him if left with no other options. Ren is generally accepting of Alex's choices in-game, and will usually confide in her first. Ren will look to Alex for help in terms of talking to Nona.
- Nona - Alex and Nona do not know each other very well. Nona is not in school very often as Nona is prone to skipping, so they never have the chance to interact prior to the night on the island, but Nona is aware of who Alex is because they have shared classes. When playing "marry, screw, kill" Alex can choose to say she'd marry Nona as she likes the quiet types, sleep with her because she seems "present and giving", or kill her if left with no other options. Alex can persuade Nona's decision to reach out to Ren or not.
- Clarissa - Clarissa attempted to reach out to Alex when she and Michael were dating, understanding that Michael thought very highly of Alex and not wanting to make things weird for her. However, after Michael's death, their relationship became strained, with both having resentments towards each other fueled mainly by their grief. When playing "marry, screw, kill" Alex can say she'd marry Clarissa somewhat out of spite, sleep with her because she is "obviously" attractive, or kill her if left with no other options. Player choices can determine whether or not Alex and Clarissa's relationship can be (somewhat) repaired.
Depending on the sum of choices made by the player, the game can end in multiple ways that affect Alex's relationships with her friends.
In terms of dealing with the ghosts, she can either give up Clarissa's life in exchange for her own or instead opt to close the portal with the radio. It is implied that the ghosts will have taken Alex; however, the ending sequence is the same, implying that Alex is and has been in a "loop". As a third option, Alex can also attempt to convince the ghosts via in-game knowledge from Adler letters to let her and her friends go.
The last choice made in the game is determining whether or not Alex stayed in town for college or decided to leave. Regardless, this does not effect the game or the other characters in the end.
- Alex's red jacket once belonged to her brother Michael.
- She seems to have a fondness for history.
- Alex did not know how to swim a week before Michael's death and it is possible he was teaching her at the lake where he ultimately dies.
- Alex is voiced by Erin Yvette, who also provided voice talent in games such as The Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, and The Walking Dead: Season 1.